How to Get DIY Glowing Skin and Shining Hair
Beauty that starts from the inside out & DIY beauty routine
Healthy hair and skin starts from the inside out! Eating a diet that is feeding your body the essential nutrients it needs is key for naturally gorgeous skin and hair.
Beauty that starts from the inside out
1. Getting enough protein, fatty acids, minerals and vitamins will feed your body the things it needs to stay healthy and strong. Is your skin dry? You might need more oils in your diet. Is your skin prone to wrinkles? You might need more protein, micronutrients and water along with muscle mindfulness. Protein is what collagen, the matrix of our skin, is mainly made up of. To calculate how much protein your body needs, multiply your body weight in kilograms by 0.8, ex. protein needs = body weight in kg * 0.8g. If you are pregnant, a professional level athlete, or very ill you will need more, up to 1.2g per kilogram of body weight. Many people get under the recommended amount or way over the recommended amount. The problem with getting too much is that it puts tremendous stress the kidneys to filter that much protein.
2. Drink plenty of water to stay well hydrated. Your skin needs a lot of water to stay healthy. A good rule is to drink 1/2 of your body weight in ounces a day, ex. 140 / 2 = 70 oz.
3. Keep inflammation low! The biggest source of inflammation for most people is from the gut. Be sure you aren't eating food your body can't digest properly. Eating those foods that you can't break down leads to inflammation in your gut and your body. These partially digested foods along with the things your body creates to try to deal with them ultimately leads to toxicity in your cells.
4. Look in the mirror and notice if you are holding the muscles of your face. This is called dysponesis, which means unconsciously holding muscles or recruiting muscles for a task that aren't needed. Can you relax them? Holding these muscles constantly over a long period of time leads to wrinkles and is the basis behind botox. What if you could learn to control your muscles yourself without putting poisons into your body? This type of training is called biofeedback, something I do in working with clients.
5. Tell that gorgeous face and body of yours how much you love it and thank it for moving you through life!
DIY Beauty Routine:
Dry skin lymphatic brushing
All over skin exfoliating in the shower
Keeping your skin well hydrated. Be careful as this can make your tub or shower slick! I recommend cleaning the floor of the tub right away so you don't slip.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
Mix all ingredients together. After you've warmed your skin in the shower, rub this mixture briskly into skin.
This is one of many face masks that I rotate through, depending on what I need. This one is drawing and tonifying.
Mix about 1/2 teaspoon with enough water to make a thin paste. Apply to damp skin in a thin layer. Let sit until just starting to feel tight and dry on the skin. Don't let get over dry! Rinse well. Follow with moisturizer.
Every 2-4 weeks:
DIY Hair Mask
No more spending $$ on expensive hair masks! I like to put this in while I'm cleaning or reading a book on Sunday mornings! Like the face mask, this is one version of many that I cycle through based on what I need and have on hand. This hair mask is hydrating and strengthening.
1 Egg yolk
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Separate the egg white from yolk. Reserve white. With a fork, whisk the yolk. Slowly drizzle the olive oil in while whisking. Combine well. Apply to damp hair. Pin hair up and wrap a towel around head. Let sit 20-60 minutes.